28 Dec Top Social Media Statistics from 2016
How many platforms did you join to keep up with the latest digital marketing trends in 2016? Did you see an increase in your engagement rate? Did all of your digital marketing efforts finally pay off in 2016?
2016 saw increase in the number of users online and a change in how brands are using social media to engage with their audience. If you didn’t branch out this past year to stay on top of the latest trends in social media then you probably missed out on a huge opportunity to reach some of the goals you set for your company at the beginning of 2016.
Don’t worry. Every click, every comment, every view is recorded somewhere on the internet, which is why we’ve compiled a list of social media statistics set in 2016 so you can go into 2017 with your A game.
But, before we get into those statistics we want to go over what platforms you should be on going into 2017.
What are the most popular social media networks marketers should know about?
Thanks to Quiip we are able to see what social media networks were still on top in 2016 and their daily reach across Australia. Facebook is still dominating the social media world with Facebook Messenger coming in second followed by Instagram.
Top Social Media Statistics
- 61% of the total Australian population is an active monthly user on Facebook. (source)
- 31% of small businesses and 36% of medium sized businesses have developed a strategic plan for their social media compared to 76% of large businesses. (source)
- 72% of marketers are interested in putting advertising budgets towards Instagram. (source)
- WhatsApp has increased its Australian user base by 30% since early 2015. (source)
- 87% of Australians access the internet daily (source)
- 26% of social media users check social media more than five times a day (source)
- 1/3 of social media users follow businesses or brands via social media (source)
- 31% of social media users have provided online ratings (source)
While these aren’t all of the statistics you will find on the web today, we found that these statistics are the most important for digital marketers looking to revamp their marketing strategies going into 2017.
But revamping your social media strategy won’t be worth it if you aren’t able to show that all your hardwork is paying off. In order to determine if your social media efforts are working, you’ll want to take a look at several factors. First you’re going to want to look at your reach, then your engagement, and finally your conversion rate. You can look at these by going into your insights or analytics on each social media network. In order to know how exactly your social media strategy is working, you’re going to want to know if your audience is engaging with your content and if your message impacted your audience enough to take action.
From Facebook to Twitter to Pinterest having a strong presence on social media should be second nature nowadays. Engaging with your audience, answering their questions, and addressing their concerns will not only make them a more satisfied customer but will show them that you care about their business. There is no better way to increase your brand awareness and improve customer relations than with social media. So take these statistics, study them, and go into 2017 with a game plan to dominate your industry on social media.