Digital marketing is the only way to stay ahead of the competition in the modern business world. If you plan and execute your strategy well, you will get more traffic and revenue. However, if you don’t plan your strategy well, you might lag behind and your prospects may go to your competition.
It’s a good idea to start planning for 2017 now because people will come out of their holiday distraction as soon as the season ends with the New Year. You need something more than the holiday spirit to keep them engaged. Here are some tips that can help you plan a successful digital marketing strategy:
At a Glance, 2017 Digital Marketing Strategies
1. Identify the Most Successful Strategies
If you’re already an established business and have implemented digital marketing strategies before, you should look at your previous and current campaigns to identify what is working well for you. Even if your campaign didn’t provide the best results, you will still be able to determine what factors worked better and come up with ways to improve and optimize them.
2. Identify the Best Platforms for Your Industry
Some marketing strategies and platforms should be utilized, regardless of the industry you are in. These include strategies like SEO, paid ads, social media marketing and content marketing. You should also have a presence on the top social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter. However, there are some platforms and strategies that work particularly well for certain industries. You can focus the bulk of your efforts and money on these areas in order to get the best results. For example, LinkedIn is an excellent platform for a B2B company whereas Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube are excellent for the fashion, food and beauty industries.
3. Conduct a Full Analysis of Your Previous Campaigns
A thorough analysis of your previous marketing campaigns will help you understand any mistakes you made in the past. You will be able to identify where you have room for improvement and what aspects of your campaign can be optimized significantly. Sometimes businesses invest money in campaigns that don’t work for them and continue to do so because they don’t realize that their strategy is ineffective. You can avoid such a mistake if you conduct regular analysis of your campaigns. You can use tools like Google Analytics or other such software to evaluate your metrics.
4. Understand the Funnel
It’s important to understand how your customers reach your website and where your converted customers come from. A sales funnel will give you a good idea about the customer’s journey to you and also help you understand where different marketing strategies should be used. Here’s a brief look at what a functional sales funnel should look like:
- Top – The top of the funnel represents the time when your customers come in contact with your brand and begin the journey towards a purchase. At this stage, you need to stand apart from the competition and grab the customer’s attention as quickly as you can. You can achieve this through SEO and paid ads.
- Middle – The middle of the funnel is your sales portion as you have to convince your customers that your product is worthwhile and they should make a purchase. You can convince your customers with great content, attractive offers, good website design, and sales pitch. This is the part where you might lose the most number of customers.
- Bottom – The bottom portion of the sales funnel has the least amount of people and most of them are converting traffic. Your goal at this stage is to retain their attention and make sure they complete the transaction. You can do this by optimizing the cart experience and offering good payment and shipping options. If customers abandon the cart, you can reach out to them once again to remind them of their interest with retargeting.
5. Establish a Profile of Your Target Audience
Your target audience can change over time and their behavior can change with passing trends. It’s a good idea to reassess your target audience and stay on top of current trends. Your target audience profile for 2017 might be different and might require new techniques to ensure they’re engaged.
6. Research the Latest Tools, Techniques, and Changes
Changes in the search engine rules and algorithms can have a massive impact on your marketing campaign. People who don’t keep their eyes open and fail to react quickly lose their rankings and see all their hard work go down the drain. You should always keep your ear to the ground and study all of the latest developments in the marketing industry if you want to stay ahead of the competition.
It’s not just enough to create a great marketing campaign, you need to test and optimize it constantly. You should run all of your campaigns through A/B testing to make sure you get the best results from your investment.
If you follow these steps, you should be able to establish a great marketing campaign for your business.