The emergency concussion diagnostic app from Head Smart called First Responder was in a state of emergency itself and needed a quick response. The app was live on both the Google Play store and Apple App store and both the versions of the app was crashing randomly. We made both of them work, in less than 48 hours.
The app is an emergency medical assistance app and people’s lives could depend on it so the task had to be done in the quickest possible time. Our developers fired up the debugger and the heat on the coffee. Before they could ask for a status update, we had found the issue with the app, fixed it and discovered a critical bug with their server that caused the crashes in the first place. We knew what had to be done, and did it despite a few hiccups from the other end, because we cared.